2012-03-18

On Spirituality

In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. My Muslim readers will find this introductory statement quite familiar, to say the least. I don't label my religious beliefs, I simply am aware of the greatness of God and I try to see the truth in everything, because God is everywhere, starting from the heart and mind and going to the most distant stars and galaxies. I don't search for various "mathematical links" in the Bible, I don't search for miracles, and don't practice my spirituality because of tradition and because of social norms, I just believe.

What I search for are beauty, goodness and in my case, above all, I search for understanding. No matter how clear, obscure or arguable these concepts are, I know what they mean regarding the divine nature of things. I want to understand as much as I can, as much as I am permitted and I want to share with those who want to listen just like others shared with me.

Religion (I'm referring to monotheistic spirituality) is a blessing and a curse at the same time, on one hand it offers people the possibility of getting closer to God, on the other hand, people who can and want to get closer to God, to understand Him, do it regardless of religion. Sadly most people believe they work for God when in fact they serve ignorance. You may not even consider yourself a religious or spiritual person, yet, there comes a time when you discover that you have an innate type of spirituality/illuminated (a word that received some negative connotations) mentality, these people exist, but they are rare. Some examples are the Romanian philosopher Petre Tutea and the physicist Einstein.

People often think that if they are protected from bad events they are protected by God and they are righteous. Prophets, saints, all had times of hardship and faced temptation, how can one be so arrogant as to consider himself more righteous than them? The more you know evil, the more you understand the right path, this of course if you want to see the right path. God gives hardship to those who have the power to overcome it and turn their heads towards Him.

My belief in God is not blind because in order to believe, one must understand and He gives us the power to understand if we truly have this intention.
Muhammad (pbuh) said: "He who seeks a path to gain knowledge therein, God will make easy for him a path to Paradise."
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." - Matthew 7:7
"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God,who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." - James 1:5

No comments: